Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Becoming a Brit

Yesterday I attended my nationalisation ceremony held at the Brent Town Hall. It was the last step in a series of stages I've gone through over the past few months in order to attain my British citizenship. Diversity was the name of the day, where 21 countries were represented in this particular group, from young children to mature-aged. It was fantastic to be be part of such a varied assemblage of people. The mayor himself was a former citizen of Somalia, and spoke proudly of Brent as being the most diverse borough in london. We were all congratulated with a certificate, bronze medal and a handshake from the mayor. Today I decided to decorate my medal a bit further....


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Your ancestors must the thrilled. Are they encircled pawns in her crown?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashen! Yes My Grandparents/Mum are very proud and I'm sure the rest of the British family are rolling in their graves with delight :) Yesh and I spent the rest of the day at the Science museum where I discovered that my family's surname would suggest that I'm a mix of London and West Country Heritage! I fashioned the hair and crown after the queens actual crown...and I think she does have pawns in her crown!

    ReplyDelete